What is Hypermesis Gravidarum?
• Hypermesis Gravidarum refers to the rare cases of extreme nausea, vomiting and dehydration during pregnancy
• Typically women experience this condition during the first trimester
• Extreme nausea and vomiting is usually caused by rapidly rising levels of HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) and estrogen levels in the serum. In most cases this could be associated in pregnancies with more than one fetus
• Though some level of nausea and discomfort is expected during pregnancy, severe cases usually do need medical intervention
What causes Hypermesis Gravidarum?
• Extremely high levels of hormones (hCG and Estrogen) in the blood stream
• Women with more than one fetus in the womb (twins, triplets etc.) have higher levels of hormones in the blood leading to Hypermesis Gravidarum
• In some cases Hypermesis Gravidarum is caused by some abnormal tissue growth in the uterus (not an actual pregnancy)
• Women who have experienced Hypermesis Gravidarum in a previous pregnancy might get the condition again
What can you do about it?
• Ensure that the stomach is never empty by eating small and frequent portions of food through the day
• Keep a packet of biscuits / crackers with you always
• Eat bland food as it is easy to digest
• Drink fluids through the day to ensure that the body is always hydrated
• In cases of extreme nausea and vomiting, fluids and nutrients may need to be administered through IV
• Please consult your doctor for medication that would be safe to use during pregnancy to get relief from the situation
When should you consult a doctor?
• Most cases of Hypermesis Gravidarum do need some form of medical intervention but it is recommended that you consult your healthcare provider if:
• You experience extreme nausea/ vomiting and cannot keep any food down
• You are dehydrated and cannot keep even liquids down
• You pass minimal and/or dark colored urine
• Depending on the severity of the condition, your doctor might recommend admission in a hospital and administer fluids and medicines through IV
• Hypermesis Gravidarum is extreme nausea and vomiting experienced by some pregnant women in the first trimester
• It is caused due to extremely high levels of hormones (hCG and Estrogen) or the growth of some abnormal tissues/ cells in the uterus
• Some women might be able to manage the condition by taking some measures such as drinking fluids, eating small portions of bland food etc.
• In severe cases medical intervention is usually required which might involve administering fluids and medicines through IV
Team Ovum Hospitals